Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris B[_2_] Chris B[_2_] is offline

Default Cars have definitely changed

On 05/01/2017 21:07, Jeff Layman wrote:

I wonder. I assume you are referring to cutting the engine when stopping
at lights, etc. Sure, it must save fuel, but how much? Well, with a 2l
engine it's around 600ml/hour. But how many cars idle for an hour
during a journey? Also, after a while engine cut-out won't work (at
least, it doesn't in my Jazz because it's designed that way). In
practice, it probably saves considerably less than a gallon a month.

And that at the expense of a beefed up starter mechanism (or early
starter failure) and a much more expensive battery that has to be
"integrated" with the EMC. I have always wondered what the net lifetime
saving of this pseudo green system actually is.

--
Chris B (News)