Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Applying dye as toner

On 1/5/2017 3:08 PM, Len wrote:
I need to spray some interior doors. 2x6 Wood frame and glass center. The
grain on the wood portion is objectionable. really In the past:

I put a light coat of shellac on first to seal the wood and
objectional grain.
Sanded it until smooth.
Applied 2 coats of water borne analine dye and allowed it
dry for 2 days. No touching because it just sits on top
of the shellac.
Mixed some dye into Hoods water based lacquer and sprayed
enough coats to get my final color.
Applied 3 coats of clear lacquer so that I could
"finish the finish" using steel wool without
taking off some of the color.
Waxed the surface so that it is as smooth as a baby's bottom.
The result is very good - BUT I still have a bunch more to
do. There has got to be an easier way!

Any suggestions?

Len

New doors with a grain you like?