Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Applying dye as toner

I need to spray some interior doors. 2x6 Wood frame and glass center. The
grain on the wood portion is objectionable. really In the past:

I put a light coat of shellac on first to seal the wood and
objectional grain.
Sanded it until smooth.
Applied 2 coats of water borne analine dye and allowed it
dry for 2 days. No touching because it just sits on top
of the shellac.
Mixed some dye into Hoods water based lacquer and sprayed
enough coats to get my final color.
Applied 3 coats of clear lacquer so that I could
"finish the finish" using steel wool without
taking off some of the color.
Waxed the surface so that it is as smooth as a baby's bottom.
The result is very good - BUT I still have a bunch more to
do. There has got to be an easier way!

Any suggestions?

Len
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/2017 3:08 PM, Len wrote:
[...]

New doors with a grain you like?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/2017 4:08 PM, Len wrote:
[...]

So I work with dyes quite a bit.
I add my dye to the shellac or lacquer.
In shellac it allows building it nicely as a toner.

I have stained first then used it as a toner on top since it's
transparent and will allow the grain to show through.

I think water based with water based might be your problem. Water is a
solvent for water based.. So water based topcoat is a solvent for water
based dye.

But do understand that dye is just that dye, it's not a solid and won't
get fully dark unless you use a lot of dye. I use dye alone on highly
figured woods, but it takes quite a bit to get it where I want.

So I think I answered what you are looking for, but it was an open ended
question.

--
Jeff

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/2017 5:01 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/5/2017 3:08 PM, Len wrote:
[...]

There's always that too.

--
Jeff

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have powder aniline dye that is normally mixed with hot water. If I do that, there is a lot of water being put into the Hydrocote lacquer. What is your prescription for making the mix?