Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default What is the best sponge type for picking up spilled water

wrote:
What is the best sponge type for picking up spilled water on a vinyl
floor?

I've tried those sponge mops that come with a handle and you squeeze
them to wring out the water. They dont absorb much water.
I tried the small hand sponges as well as the larger ones made for
washing cars. They are made from some sort of foam, and they dont pickup
much water either. What else is there, and what works best? (I have not
tried one of them natural sponges, maybe they are better, but seem hard
to find in the stores).

I know one of those industrial string mops would probably work best, but
in a home, they are kind of big and clumsy. I'd rather have something
smaller, whether it's a mop, or just a hand sponge.

Just to be clear, I'm speaking of cleaning up a few gallons or less.
Such as a toilet or sink overflow, or other spilled water.

Ones that have a thicker feel to them work for me. I have to be careful to
dry them out, since they decompose to rot and start shedding. Someone gave
me a bunch, so I don't know source.

Greg