Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default interesting 3d cad program

On 12/30/2016 10:03 AM, Jack wrote:

There's a few good things the registry is good at, but it's such a mine
field I don't know what that thing hasn't been replaced yet. The
problem was a configuration file would take 4K on disk because of a 4K
sector size, but only had 16 bytes. It's no big deal now, we've got
tons of 4K sectors but that kind of waste is why modern systems run so
slowly compared to their late-90's counterparts.

Personally, I think millions of new computers have been sold because the
registry became totally F***ed up and people just went out and bought a
new computer.

I think you are probably right on that count but I do not think it is a
fault of Microsoft rather the programs that are added/installed over the
years.

Like I said, Windows used to be really really good. Windows 7 is
fantastic in terms of UI, it's set the standard for many UIs and then
Microsoft screwed everything up completely.

Like I said, OS/2 was the only "windows" that actually worked. It worked
perfect, really, really, really a lot better than any version of
windows. XP, 7 and 10 are OK, but they are still far behind OS/2 in
most everything, including stability and ease of use. Take a look at
your start up files in Services and see what a convoluted mess win is.
It's a wonder this crap even works at all.

I have no issue with Win 7 on my or Win 10 on my wife's computer. Mine
is 6 years old and has been extremely stable as has been for my wife's
since upgrading to 10 in the spring.

Both of ours were custom built by a neighbor and absolutely no bloatware
was installed. IMHO it is all that bloatware, that manufacturers
install with new computers, is the source of problems that pop up.

Before I began adding programs to my computer 6 years ago I pretty only
saw the Window logo screen for a second or two after seeing the mother
board screen and before the desk top appeared. The Windows logo was
animated and I never saw it completely do its thing before the desk top
was visible.
Today boot up time is around 30 seconds to get to the desk top.

OH and keep HP and Norton products off of your computer.