Posted to rec.woodworking

Default interesting 3d cad program

In article 586474d8$0$59602$c3e8da3$460562f1
@news.astraweb.com, Puckdropper says...

Jack wrote in news
On 12/28/2016 1:41 AM, Bill wrote:

Recently my daughter and her husband were playing gin, and she pulled
out her cell phone to keep score. I asked what she was using to keep
score and she said Excel... I said isn't that over kill, she said it
was easy and didn't have a pencil and paper handy...

PC's (aka cell phones) are killing windows. None of my kids have
desktop computers, they have old lap tops they rarely to never use.

Bad UI is kiling Windows. Cell phones are taking over because the
experience is usually much better.

My wife bought herself a computer, I later discovered it was not
really a computer, it was a giant cell phone w/o the phone part
(Nextbook I think it is), with a detachable keyboard. It runs on the
Android OS. The closest thing to a computer she has is an Ipad, that
also runs on a Unix based OS. She also has a Kindle (also
Android/UNIX). She sits around all day with her cell phone, Nextbook,
Ipad, and Kindle all hooked up to the internet, playing games, and
buying crap. All are based on UNIX not DOS/Windows. Yep, Window is
about over, and the sooner the better as it has always been, and still
is, garbage.

There was a quote from Bill Gates I came across a few months ago:
"Microsoft is always 2 years from being out of business." He knew if he
didn't keep the company innovating and at least producing usable stuff,
they'd be gone really fast. Too bad has successor doesn't seem to
understand that... We might not have a Microsoft soon. (As bad as M$ can
be, Apple and Google are worse.)

Think about this, in 1994, OS/2 could cut and paste between DOS, WIN
and OS/2 apps all running concurrently. Windows figured out how to do
it between DOS and WIN, (albeit lamely as hell) over 20 years later
with Win 10.

WINS scripting language (Power Shell) is a diabolical piece of crap,
designed by the morons of the computing world. OS/2 had REXX for it's
scripts which was powerful, yet any moron could learn it.

It's worth the time to install Perl or something. I tried Power Shell,
it was a bigger piece of junk than batch files, and doing intelligent
things with batch files is pretty awful.

OS/2 used standard config files anyone could master. Win uses the
convoluted piece of garbage called the registry. Anyone that has the
balls to fool around with that mess knows the meaning of labyrinth.
It must have been designed by the same fools that created the almost
unlearnable Power Shell script language.

The fellow who created the registry had one thing to say about it:
I'm sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry,
sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry,
[...]

There's a few good things the registry is good at, but it's such a mine
field I don't know what that thing hasn't been replaced yet. The
problem was a configuration file would take 4K on disk because of a 4K
sector size, but only had 16 bytes. It's no big deal now, we've got
tons of 4K sectors but that kind of waste is why modern systems run so
slowly compared to their late-90's counterparts.

The problem the registry was intended to address
was relocation on a network. Look at the design
of it, and it's quite clever--it splits things
out into user-specific and hardware-specific
sections so that when a user moves to a
different workstation with different hardware,
only the parts of his configuration that are
hardware independent get copied.

The reason it's such a mess is that software
vendors don't document the configuration of
their software and often put pieces in the wrong
locations.

Yep, Kids today have little use for Desktops, and it's convoluted
piece of crap OS. The ironic thing is Win was supposed to be an easy
user interface designed for the computer illiterate. In reality, it is
a horrible user interface that is next to impossible for even the
computer literate to have a clue how to fix when it breaks, which it
always does, because it is crap. Now, everyone is using UNIX, with
user interfaces any computer illiterate (my wife) can use, and they
never seem to break.
Very cool.

Like I said, Windows used to be really really good. Windows 7 is
fantastic in terms of UI, it's set the standard for many UIs and then
Microsoft screwed everything up completely.

Windows 8 was a mess, Windows 10 is kind of
growing on me.