Posted to rec.woodworking

Default interesting 3d cad program

On 29 Dec 2016 02:28:40 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Jack wrote in news
On 12/28/2016 1:41 AM, Bill wrote:

Recently my daughter and her husband were playing gin, and she pulled
out her cell phone to keep score. I asked what she was using to keep
score and she said Excel... I said isn't that over kill, she said it
was easy and didn't have a pencil and paper handy...

PC's (aka cell phones) are killing windows. None of my kids have
desktop computers, they have old lap tops they rarely to never use.

Bad UI is kiling Windows. Cell phones are taking over because the
experience is usually much better.

I disagree with that completely. I can't imagine Sketchup on a phone.
Phones are great as always-with-me devices but they don't in any way
replace a decent display, keyboard, lots of memory, and processing
power.

My wife bought herself a computer, I later discovered it was not
really a computer, it was a giant cell phone w/o the phone part
(Nextbook I think it is), with a detachable keyboard. It runs on the
Android OS. The closest thing to a computer she has is an Ipad, that
also runs on a Unix based OS. She also has a Kindle (also
Android/UNIX). She sits around all day with her cell phone, Nextbook,
Ipad, and Kindle all hooked up to the internet, playing games, and
buying crap. All are based on UNIX not DOS/Windows. Yep, Window is
about over, and the sooner the better as it has always been, and still
is, garbage.

There was a quote from Bill Gates I came across a few months ago:
"Microsoft is always 2 years from being out of business." He knew if he
didn't keep the company innovating and at least producing usable stuff,
they'd be gone really fast. Too bad has successor doesn't seem to
understand that... We might not have a Microsoft soon. (As bad as M$ can
be, Apple and Google are worse.)

Certainly innovation is the key to survival but (at least) one of
these companies is going to surive.

snip

Like I said, Windows used to be really really good. Windows 7 is
fantastic in terms of UI, it's set the standard for many UIs and then
Microsoft screwed everything up completely.

So far (a week), I've found Win10 to be acceptable (too early to tell
more). It seems to have taken the best (very little) of Win8 and
grafted it onto Win7. It's much smoother with a touchscreen than Win7
but functions in a similar manner.