Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

Default Best Phillips Screwdrivers?

Doug White wrote:
For many years now, I have always used the black handle Xcelite Phillips
screwdrivers with the chrome shaft & black tip. I outfitted my
electronics bench with a fresh set a few years ago, and the #1 Phillips
tip is already toast. I took apart a dead stick vacuum cleaner today
that had a dozen screws down in holes, and I had to get my other #1
driver from my woodworking toolbox to finish the job. It is also
showing signs of excess wear on the tip.

One problem is that the #1 tip is very pointy, and I think it is
bottoming out on some screws, which increases its tendency to slip.
This accelerates the damage & makes it more likely to slip the next
time. The #2 tip is definitely rounded and no where near as pointy.
The #0 seems to have a some of the same issue, but not as pronounced.

I'm going to have to replace the #1's (and may get another #0 as well),
and was wondering if folks have a favorite brand that grips screws well
and holds up better. I've had good luck with Wiha drivers in the past,
but mostly for smaller stuff (jeweler's screwdriver size).

Xcelite's quality dropped, after Cooper Tools bought them. Like
every other brand that they've purchased.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.