Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Amazing Chinese forging video

Ignoramus22750 wrote:
On 2016-12-27, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus15685 wrote:
I cannot stop watching this video, nothing short of amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r41dcYUvNLk

Clearly very smart people, forging with just forklifts and a huge drop hammer

I saw that yesterday, almost shared the link as well. It's a real ugly
operation until they machine the thing down. You can see calipers at one
point and the rest of the measuring seems to be with some sort of rod with
markings of some sort. My question is how consistent are those flanges
from the start of the shift to the end, or on a rainy day when they're
slipping in mud or anything like that.

It looks like they know what they are doing, removing last 1/2 inch or
so

There's no question they've made a huge flange of some sort, but if I
ordered 100 of them, would they vary at all? Would they even all be made
of the same type of steel etc. That's where I have questions about cottage
type industry.

I think it was mentioned that's a flange for a 48" pipe. At 100 PSI that's
90 tons of force trying to tear that thing apart. It has to be a sound
part and not just "close enough". Forgings still need proper heat
treatment, and from that video maybe they just bury it in dirt. It's not
really clear.