Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

Default Best Phillips Screwdrivers?

On 2016-12-26, Doug White wrote:
Fred McKenzie wrote in news:fmmck-C67AE6.15484126122016@
46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com:

[ ... ]

Perhaps the suggestion to use "inserts" would do the job. I
occasionally use Phillips bits with a drill/driver, and have not had

one
go bad yet. I think the drill/driver would be more abusive than a

plain
Phillips screwdriver.

The screws I was fighting with today were down in deep holes, so there
was no way I could use an insert driver.

I've found at the local electronics parts place sets of 1/4"
hex drive screwdriver bits about 6" long. The larger ones are hex the
whole way down, but the smaller ones are turned to the proper diameter
for a normal screwdriver so they will if down those deep holes.

BTW -- when using them in a drill with torque limiting the weight of the
rill motor helps apply more axial force to the bit to keep it
irmly seated in he screw, so they do tend to last longer in
such service than you would expect.

And -- remember, the Phillips screw was *designed* to torque
out to limit the chance of wringing off a screw during
production assembly.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--