Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Best Phillips Screwdrivers?

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 13:41:12 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
I was in an RC hobby store and asked about JIC and Posidrive
screwdrivers, which they didn't carry. Maybe they don't torque the
screws in models hard enough to notice the difference?

A lot of people think they are all "Phillips" and that some
screwdrivers just work better than others...

I always tried to take pride in my repair work. I wanted stuff to look
as good or better than when it came in. Jimmied up screw slots were not
"professional" work in my opinion.

The Game Boy I was working on was one I found along the road and had
been well used/abused. Not to mention it was in the spring and the snow
was still melting. I managed to get four of the five special headed
screws out by wedging the slot with a jewelers straight blade. The last
one broke the side off my screwdriver. Crap!

Even with the new, proper bit from HF it came out really hard. I was
surprised it didn't break the bit. It looked amazingly well inside yet.
No corrosion to speak of. The problem was corrosion on the cartridge
connector pins. Got it working and that ended my "fun" with a Dual
Screen Game Boy.

Next time I get close to one of the local hobby shops I'll have to see
what kind of odd items they have. Thanks for the tip

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b