Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Best Phillips Screwdrivers?

On Monday, December 26, 2016 at 11:20:30 AM UTC-8, David Billington wrote:
On 26/12/16 19:12, Michael Black wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2016, Doug White wrote:

For many years now, I have always used the black handle Xcelite Phillips
screwdrivers with the chrome shaft & black tip. I outfitted my
electronics bench with a fresh set a few years ago, and the #1 Phillips
tip is already toast.

Isn't the issue that there is some Japanese variant of the Phillips
screw, called something else, so while nominally a Phillips fits it,
it's not really a match?

Are you thinking of a pozidrive screw, if so a Phillips screwdriver
shouldn't be used.

Alas, it's not that simple. Pozidrive is licensed by Phillips just like Phillips is,
the Japanese use JIS standards instead.

Frearson (aka Reed and Prince) is a fourth standard; that one, rarely slips
and doesn't have multiple sizes with different shapes. It's rare, though.