Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Best Phillips Screwdrivers?

"I have two #1 Phillips screw
drivers with trashed tips I need to replace."

Try grinding the end of the tip some and using them as a #2. That solves the problem of under broached heads. This is when the broaching tool wears out and does not go deep enough.

Years ago I had some #2s that were so good you could stick them in the screws in the sides of a VCR and they would stay there, supporting their own weight. Off brand, buck apiece at an auto parts store. Once I bought a couple and found out how good they are I went back and bought them all. But that was like 20 years ago and they are all gone. I cut some of the handles off for use i drilldrivers as well and they seemed to hold up.

There are also variants. For contractor use, Milwaukee makes a slightly different one. Only available as an insert though. But if you need to drive a four inch decking screw into a 2X4 and 4X4 and have a powerful enough drill, they grab well enough to break the head of the screw off. Had it happen, and those were some pretty beefy screws. These inserts are slightly narrower than a normal #2 and you can see the tip is cut a bit differently. Like they don't intend for it to bottom out.