Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

Default Best Phillips Screwdrivers?

On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 22:37:45 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote in
:

"Doug White" wrote in message
"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote in
:

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1612261411400.23783@darkstar. example.org...
On Mon, 26 Dec 2016, Doug White wrote:

For many years now, I have always used the black handle Xcelite
Phillips screwdrivers with the chrome shaft & black tip. I
outfitted my electronics bench with a fresh set a few years ago,
and the #1 Phillips tip is already toast. I took apart a dead
stick vacuum cleaner today that had a dozen screws down in holes,
and I had to get my other #1 driver from my woodworking toolbox to
finish the job. It is also showing signs of excess wear on the
tip.

Isn't the issue that there is some Japanese variant of the Phillips
screw, called something else,

It has an alphanumeric designation.

The crosspoint head is shallower so the point of the bit bottoms out
and the side blades only half engage.

That sounds suspiciously like what I ran into today. Of course, it's
impossible to tell when they are an inch down a narrow hole.

I'll have to investigate getting a special set of drivers for small
appliance repair.

Put some engineer's blue (or correction fluid) on the end of the
screwdriver, seat it in the screw head and give it a sharp tap with
something.

You may find that the coating on the pointy tip is compacted - you
could maybe try grinding a very small bit off the pointy bit and see
if it gives you more purchase.

That may work in the future, but for now, I have two #1 Phillips screw
drivers with trashed tips I need to replace. Which brings me back to my
original question...

Doug White

The only craftsman philips drivers I ever damaged were replaced
without a question. I think it was 2 in over 40 years.