Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

Default Best Phillips Screwdrivers?

On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 19:04:21 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

For many years now, I have always used the black handle Xcelite Phillips
screwdrivers with the chrome shaft & black tip. I outfitted my
electronics bench with a fresh set a few years ago, and the #1 Phillips
tip is already toast.

I use mostly Craftsman (Sears) screwdrivers.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/711LQSOTfOL._SL1000_.jpg
My main driver is a #2 Philips with a long 8" shaft. It fits most
appliances, computers, automotive, and consumer electronics devices.
For small screws, I use a #1 but those are rare.

I was taught to test rotate the screwdriver in the Philips screw head
before applying torque. If the driver is loose, or sloppy, don't use
it or you'll wreck the head, the driver, or both. It should be a good
tight fit, or you'll need to find the correct Philips-like driver. For
those, I have a collection of various Philips-like drivers (Posidriv,
Supadriv, Reed and Prince (Fearson), Sel-o-Fit, B.N.A.E, Lotus head,
Japan Industrial Standard (JIS), French Recess, ACR Philips, Philips
Square-Driv mix, Philips II, etc.
http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips/?ALLSTEPS

Note: If you use an electric or pneumatic screwdriver, plan on
trashing screw heads and bits. I've found that I can effectively use
an electric screwdriver to remove screws, but even with a clutch, I
would strip heads and break tips when tightening screws.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D