Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Best Phillips Screwdrivers?

"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote in
:

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1612261411400.23783@darkstar. example.org...
On Mon, 26 Dec 2016, Doug White wrote:

For many years now, I have always used the black handle Xcelite
Phillips screwdrivers with the chrome shaft & black tip. I
outfitted my electronics bench with a fresh set a few years ago, and
the #1 Phillips tip is already toast. I took apart a dead stick
vacuum cleaner today that had a dozen screws down in holes, and I
had to get my other #1 driver from my woodworking toolbox to finish
the job. It is also showing signs of excess wear on the tip.

Isn't the issue that there is some Japanese variant of the Phillips
screw, called something else,

It has an alphanumeric designation.

The crosspoint head is shallower so the point of the bit bottoms out
and the side blades only half engage.

That sounds suspiciously like what I ran into today. Of course, it's
impossible to tell when they are an inch down a narrow hole.

I'll have to investigate getting a special set of drivers for small
appliance repair.

Doug White