Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Best Phillips Screwdrivers?

Fred McKenzie wrote in news:fmmck-C67AE6.15484126122016@
46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com:

In article ,
Doug White wrote:

It's possible that I've run into some Posi-Drives in the past, but

the
vast majority of the screws I see these days are plain old Phillips.

think Xcelite just isn't very careful with shaping the points on

their
drivers. Either that, or the screw manufacturers are making a lot of
"Phillips" screws with shallow sockets. Or both...

Doug-

Granted that some Phillips screwdrivers are made of soft metal.

However
most of my problems have been related to using the wrong size

Phillips.
In your original post, you mentioned using #0, #1 and #2 on the same
screws.

I have found some Phillips drivers in auto parts stores that claimed

be heat-treated. They seem to last longer, but eventually become
rounded as well.

Perhaps the suggestion to use "inserts" would do the job. I
occasionally use Phillips bits with a drill/driver, and have not had

one
go bad yet. I think the drill/driver would be more abusive than a

plain
Phillips screwdriver.

The screws I was fighting with today were down in deep holes, so there
was no way I could use an insert driver. The screws were small, and
looked to be well suited to a #1. When that didn't work, I managed to
get enough of a purchase with a #2 to get them out. One was in a
smaller hole (same sized screw), and I could only get the #1 down it.
If anything, I would have called the screws 1.5's...

The reason I mention #0, #1, & #2 was that I seem to have the most
trouble with the Xcelite #1 drivers. Both examples I have are more
pointy for their size than either the #0 or #2, and both #1's have the
tips trashed. I don't recall if I bought them at the same time, but I
don't think so.

Doug White