Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword James Wilkinson Sword is offline

Default Switchable Wall Outlet

On Sun, 25 Dec 2016 12:46:24 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 21:39:27 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 12/23/2016 10:28 PM, wrote:

[snip]

"Smart" TVs will draw more because there is a processor running all
the time and even loafing along,

What would the processor be DOING when the TV is off.

Smart TVs are not "off" unless you pull the plug.
Monitoring for software updates for one. It is still in there chugging
along, about like your PC when it is setting on the desk top and no
applications active.

My PC can use 400 watts more when thinking hard than when on and idling.

it is still going to draw something.
Cranked up it can stream and process 1080 HD content so that makes it
a pretty powerful PC.

Cable boxes and DVRs do ned to be active when "off". I have measured the
power consumption of a cable box and found no measurable difference
between "on" and "off".

BTW, these digital adapters I got recently don't have "off".

The TV uses less power because the display and audio amp is off, That
is about it.

--
A scientist from Texas A&M University has invented a bra that keeps women's breasts from jiggling and prevents the nipples from pushing through the fabric when cold weather sets in.
At a news conference announcing the invention, the scientist was taken outside by a group of cowboys, who then proceeded to kick the **** out of him.