Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting trench thru concrete/rebar floor?

On Sun, 25 Dec 2016 13:15:48 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Dec 2016 04:44:01 +0000, Sassy-mae
om wrote:

I'm a woman and do a lot of my own home remodel/repair work... sooooo, How's
the best way to cut a long thin trench into a concrete floor that has rebar?
Got a kennel and want to install a trench drain in an existing floor. The cut
will be about 25ft long and about 8-10in wide. What's the different ways a
homeowner can use to complete the task? (Mind you I'll have to rent the
tools).

If you own a typical 7.25 inch circular saw, I have personally used
these Skil brand diamond blades to cut reinforced concrete.

http://amzn.to/2irAcOY

It will be far less expensive for you to buy this blade and an A/C
powered circular saw then it will be for you to rent a specialty
concrete cutting saw.

My best advice is to make several shallow cuts until you reach the
desired depth, advance the saw slowly and wear hearing and vision
protection.

The desired depth will be a couple inches less than the maximum depth
possible with a 7.25" blade. If you make the cuts on both sides and
start digging the dirt out from the edge, the concrete will be easy to
break sitting over the cavity you make. You dig several inches out,
under the part you are removing and hit the concrete with a big
hammer. It actually goes faster than it sounds if you have 2 guys
working. Use a narrow trench shovel.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Long...Spade/50299967
Concrete is pretty hard to break if it is sitting on compacted soil.