Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Switchable Wall Outlet

On Saturday, December 24, 2016 at 12:14:48 AM UTC-6, Tony944 wrote:
"Uncle Monster" wrote in message

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 5:37:53 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword
wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 19:57:23 -0000, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

What century are you living in? All my sockets have switches on them.
--

You do know that North American wiring standards, voltages and frequency of
normal AC power for homes. business and industry are quite different from

[8~{} Uncle Humming Monster

****Simple answers ****
Can I change duplex outlet that one half works of the switch and other being
directly on the line:: €œNO€ unless you can run additional line, you need
four wires 2 Hot one Neutral and one for Ground, Only then you can split
the duplex, one output hook to hot line and one hook on the line coming from
the switch. This is for 120 Voltage source USA standard Receptacle.

All of the switched outlets I ever wired had the feed at the outlet not the switch. The power to the outlet was daisy chained to the other outlets in the room and a piece of Romex was run to the switch to control the power to one or both sides of the duplex receptacle. Having the feed at the receptacle means you only have to break the hot tab to separate the sides and switch one of them. ヽ(γƒ…)γƒŽ

Yes Europe power is 50 cycle (Hrz), While USA is 60 cycle (Hrz) . Please
Note; resistive loads can run very efficiently on both powers. For inductive
loads €œIt will not€ Voltage must be reduce apx. 10 to 15%.. for American made
motors to run on 50 Hrz. At 50 Hrz motors will draw more current that will
cause overheat and shout down or will burn up..

As for leakage I do not believe that makes any difference with 50 or 60
Herz. However Voltage does make differences, and when it is said leakage
into what across what ???
Remember working with USA 120 Standard and working with 1000 volt (Example)
is big difference.

The 50hz transformers are larger than 60hz transformers. Aircraft power systems often run on 400hz AC power and the transformers in the avionics are much smaller and lighter than the terrestrial 50 and 60 Hertz transformers. ヽ(γƒ…)γƒŽ

http://www.engineering.com/Electroni...-and-60Hz.aspx

[8~{} Uncle Hertzian Monster