Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Switchable Wall Outlet

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 00:22:53 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

It sounds like the same rule there. The light on the ceiling is a
"luminaire" but you can also just have a receptacle on that switch.
(for a lamp) Ceiling lights were out of fashion here for a while so
the code was amended. Now everyone wants a fan with a light in it so
the code had to upgrade those ceiling boxes to handle a 50 pound fan.

There shouldn't be a code. Do what you want in your own house, or there is no freedom. You guys built America so you were the land of the free, then you let your government dictate to you how you operate your own ****ing lights!

--

I agree but it is what it is.
If it makes you feel better, the code really only affects builders.