Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword James Wilkinson Sword is offline

Default Switchable Wall Outlet

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 21:18:37 -0000, wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 19:49:50 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

This is actually driven by the code. It is required to have a
lighting outlet (luminaire or a receptacle) in every habitable room.
Nobody feels the need for a switch at every receptacle since virtually
all equipment has a switch on it.

What a stupid code. We have lights on the ceiling, with a switch by the door (or in my case a PIR).

It sounds like the same rule there. The light on the ceiling is a
"luminaire" but you can also just have a receptacle on that switch.
(for a lamp) Ceiling lights were out of fashion here for a while so
the code was amended. Now everyone wants a fan with a light in it so
the code had to upgrade those ceiling boxes to handle a 50 pound fan.

There shouldn't be a code. Do what you want in your own house, or there is no freedom. You guys built America so you were the land of the free, then you let your government dictate to you how you operate your own ****ing lights!

--
A bird in the hand is always greener than the grass under the other guy's bushes.