Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Baron Frank Baron is offline

Default Question about breaking the bead using a harbor freight bead breaker?

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 18:30:44 +0000, Stormin' Norman advised:

By the way, did you purchase and try the HF bead breaker as of yet?

I went to HF and bought all the weights that they had, and I returned that
stupid bead breaker bar (which was useless) but I kept the two 24-inch tire
irons.

Since I have been successful at breaking the bead, and since the bead on my
friend's automotive tire was a cinch, I decided to stick with the
reinforced old bead breaker attachment.

This is the bent bead breaker attachment:
http://i.cubeupload.com/LqS6N4.jpg

This is it straightened out again:
http://i.cubeupload.com/JfWmot.jpg

This is it reinforced with a fence post:
http://i.cubeupload.com/kYwRJt.jpg

This is the red tire iron attachment afterward:
http://i.cubeupload.com/3q4ZU3.jpg

What I now know, and what I would have told anyone who asked the same
questions I asked just a couple of days ago, is that the HF tire changer is
a POS but you can make it work if you strengthen it up like Clare suggests.

1. You have to put a block of something stiff in that bead breaker arm!
2. You should NOT use the red tire iron for the lever for breaking the bead
either (use a pipe because the tire iron bent too).
3. You should replace the clevis adjustment pins (thanks Clare!) with bolts
so as to reduce the slop

Once you do those three things, the POS HF tire changer should work to
break the bead of the tougher SUV tires (it works fine on easier passenger
car tires).