Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Paint has leaked behind glazing in front door

On 14/12/2016 07:13, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 13:44:03 UTC, Lauren Kilpatrick wrote:
Please help! Last week we had a new front door fitted by someone we found
through checkatrade. The door came glazed but untreated. He primed and then
gloss painted for us. It was dark when he left and it looked ok. However, on
looking at it in dalylight, I can now see that whilst he used tape around the
edges, nonetheless both the primer and gloss red paint have got in behind the
glass (I.e. Between the two pains of glass) and it looks terrible. Completely
ruins the affect as it looks shoddy and messy. I am absolutely gutted at
having spent the money on materials and the labour to end up with a poor
quality job that seemingly we can't do anything about. Any advice as to
possible solutions would be gratefully received. I can only think of
eventually having the door reglazed, or buying sticky backed frosted glass
effect stickers to put over the pains but don't really want to do this as it
defeats the point in going for totally clear glazing in the first place and is
likely to look cheap. No idea what it would cost to reglaze the door - I
suspect more than the door itself is worth.
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/83
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/84
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/85

Clearly the double glazed units haven't been properly sealed when they were installed in the door.
They should have been bedded into putty /some equivalent when they were fitted.

Don't be such an idiot harry. Sealed Double glazed units must *never*
be bedded with putty in timber frames. That will cause them to fail
very quickly, *and* the frame to rot as many buyers of new houses
discovered within a few years of moving in, before the GGF and
NHBC got a grip on the problem.

sealed DG units need to be dry mounted in timber frames which have
to be sealed correctly first. Double sided butyl tape is applied
to the inside edge of the rebate and the dg unit stuck onto this tape
using special fibre spacers to stop the dg unit from contacting the
frame. More double sided butyl tape is used to fix the glazing bars
onto the outside glass pane, and the glazing bars are then pinned
into the wooden frame using stainless steel pins.Any gaps are then
sealed using clear sealant and the door can then be undercoated
and glossed.