Edwin Pawlowski

Default I Need A Strong Plastic Glue For My Broken AC Fan. Anyone Know...

"Pamela" wrote in message

I had no
idea that old air conditioners were such energy hogs!! Out of
curiosity, can anyone who knows electrical usage costs give me a rough
estimate of the difference in savings of running my old 1979 7,000 btu
AC for 5 hours a day during June, July & August, versus a 2003 7,000 btu
AC??

New models have EER ratings, but yours is too old to find that info.

Look at the name plate for the AMP rating. multiply that by 120 to get the
watts. I looked at the spec of a new 8,000 Btu model and it will draw 7
Amps or 840 watts. If you pay 10¢ per kW/hour, it will cost you 8.4¢ per
hour when the compressor is running.

If your older model draws 12 amps, or 1440 watts, it will cost you 14.4¢ to
run for the same amount of time.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome