Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Baron Frank Baron is offline

Default Question about breaking the bead using a harbor freight bead breaker?

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 20:02:13 -0500, advised:

Ha Ha Ha. I've changed tires with nothing but tire irons.

So have I, but they were motorcycle tires.

Would I waste my money on one of those tire changers to do my own?
Not as long as I lived within 10 miles of a real tire machine.

Look. I think you forget what newsgroup this is.
Look at the newsgroup.

Is this the ladies auxiliary club?

If all you're gonna do is spout that you have to get tires changed at a
professional shop, then maybe the ladies crocheting group is more apropos
for you?

Would I use a bubble
balancer to balance the wheels on my own vehicles today? Not on your
life.

Let me ask you a fair and simple question, since we covered this topic
already so you know where I'm coming from.

What would you say if there is no vibration after a set of tires were
mounted?

Would you *still* spend the $80 bucks (minimum) to have the wheels
dynamically road-force balanced?

Why?

When I change my own steering parts I line the front up to
"reasonably close" and then drive it over to a local shop and pay them
to do an accurate alignment. - and i KNOW how to do it.

I did my pitman arm, idler arm, and tie rod ends, and aligned the car
myself (long story with Sears charging for the alignment and never doing
it).

That was years ago, before I learned that almost all tire and alignment
shops are crooks.

Alignment is next on my list, by the way, but since I now have the
bead-braking and mounting part solved, I first am going to tackle the
balancing.

After balancing, I'll tackle alignment.

One place I worked we had a "slip guage" that told us when we drove a
car into the shop if the alignment was apppreciably out - and that
test was done free of charge to every vehicle that came in the door.

My plan for alignment is as simple (and logical) as my plan for balancing.

I'm going to align the SUV myself (since all it takes is front caster,
camber, and toe). The rear is a solid axle and can't be adjusted.

Then I'm gonna find a shop that does free checks, and if my alignment is
correct, the check is free. If not, I pay for the alignment.

What do you see as a pitfall in my simple and logical plan?