Tom Miller

Default groundhog problem(?) [Was: Skunk Problem]

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:15:09 GMT, "William Plummer"
wrote:

| The will demolish a vegetable garden and will take out many flowers as
| noted. I tried laying 2' wide fence material in the grass around my
| vertical fence (stopped digging under, but not climbing over), "Gopher
| Gasers" (started a fire!), and a Wrist Rocket (not accurate enough).
| Finally, an electric fence worked. Also, if you chase them for about 50',
| they finally stop and you can hit them with a shovel. But the are very hard
| to kill.

We've used mothballs, as previously suggested, and dried blood,
available at some garden centers (it's dried cow's blood and is
normally used as a weak fertilizer). Both work ... sort of. The dried
blood works the best, but you have to keep putting it around the
gardens every few days. If it rains, you have to reapply it. Moth
balls are less effective but last longer. They keep your neighbors
away too if you use enough.