Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
graham[_5_] graham[_5_] is offline

Default pinnacle c1

On 12/11/2016 10:51 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 21:52:56 -0700, graham wrote:

I've been thinking of getting a new lathe but most of the oriental cast
iron stands are too short for me and need booster blocks. I would need 2
sets for a Laguna and at least one for the Powermatic.

Rather than buy a stand for my General maxi, I built a storage cabinet
which bolts to the wall and tailored it to my height. I used a 2x4 frame
and 2 thicknesses of 3/4" plywood for the top, plus lag bolts to the wall
studs. That pretty much eliminated any vibration.

Since you've already built a stand for your General, why not another one?

The stands on those big, cast iron oriental lathes are pretty much
integrated. Furthermore, even though the stand I built is very sturdy
and also has a box full of ballast, Vibration is still a problem at times.