Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default pinnacle c1

seems like a good price for this class of lathe but maybe a bit high

http://olympic.craigslist.org/tls/5906718201.html

not many things you could not do with this one

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Being sold by someone who does not know anything about lathes or tools. Example: "Designed to cut up to four foot table tops, and will cut up to four foot bowls. The distance between centers is 50 inches." They are mixing up swing (16" I guess) with between centers. No sure what they mean by this: "motor 1 1/5 hp 1 phase 220V or 3 hp 3 phase option." 3 phase motors with a VFD take single phase on the intake and create 3 phase to make the motor run. Not sure you can rewire the VFD to input 3 phase and output 3 phase for the motor. And I am sure motors do not double in power if they can be switched from 1 phase to 3 phase as stated here with the 1.5 to 3 hp. Motors cannot be switched from single to three, but...
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 17:36:04 -0800 (PST)
" wrote:

Being sold by someone who does not know anything about lathes or
tools. Example: "Designed to cut up to four foot table tops, and
will cut up to four foot bowls. The distance between centers is 50
inches." They are mixing up swing (16" I guess) with between
centers. No sure what they mean by this: "motor 1 1/5 hp 1 phase
220V or 3 hp 3 phase option." 3 phase motors with a VFD take single
phase on the intake and create 3 phase to make the motor run. Not
sure you can rewire the VFD to input 3 phase and output 3 phase for
the motor. And I am sure motors do not double in power if they can
be switched from 1 phase to 3 phase as stated here with the 1.5 to 3
hp. Motors cannot be switched from single to three, but...

lot of possibilities

maybe the widow or offspring is selling it

but it may have an outboard setup to do large shapes but not sure

not sure about the stats and if i was interested in that lathe i
would do my own research anyway

some vfds are very flexible in what you can do but the ones i have looked
at lately are usually single phase in or three phase in but not both

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

" wrote:

[...]

The thing about those old lathes is that although they are massive and
able to turn large, out of balance chunks of wood, more thought has gone
into the ergonomics of modern machines.
In my Grandfather's main shop, there was a monster lathe with the bed on
the floor and a swing of at least 6 feet. I never saw it used as it was
there for steam engine parts and probably was last used during the
1930s. I suppose it was eventually cut up for scrap.
Graham

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 21:59:00 -0700
graham wrote:

The thing about those old lathes is that although they are massive and
able to turn large, out of balance chunks of wood, more thought has
gone into the ergonomics of modern machines.

this is a modern machine

you might be confused

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 12/9/2016 1:15 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 21:59:00 -0700
graham wrote:

The thing about those old lathes is that although they are massive and
able to turn large, out of balance chunks of wood, more thought has
gone into the ergonomics of modern machines.

this is a modern machine

you might be confused

Yep! The reply should have been attached to the Oliver.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 13:59:36 -0700
graham wrote:

Yep! The reply should have been attached to the Oliver.

agreed an oliver like that is not for the typical turner

but for someone with the room it could easily be put to good use doing
large stuff and would keep on going for a long time

ergonomics seems like a oxymoron regarding a lathe but i have seen
sit down lathes

function first it seems with a lathe

and if spending so much time at a lathe then maybe cnc is the right
solution before making it ergonomic

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Electric Comet wrote in news2hh4k$r72$3
@dont-email.me:

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 13:59:36 -0700
graham wrote:

Yep! The reply should have been attached to the Oliver.

agreed an oliver like that is not for the typical turner

but for someone with the room it could easily be put to good use doing
large stuff and would keep on going for a long time

ergonomics seems like a oxymoron regarding a lathe but i have seen
sit down lathes

function first it seems with a lathe

and if spending so much time at a lathe then maybe cnc is the right
solution before making it ergonomic

No, not at all. Ergonomics is the reason lathes are put on stands.
They've figured out a good working height for most people, but if you're
shorter or taller you may need to adjust your lathe height.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

graham wrote:

Yep! The reply should have been attached to the Oliver.

agreed an oliver like that is not for the typical turner

but for someone with the room it could easily be put to good use doing
large stuff and would keep on going for a long time

ergonomics seems like a oxymoron regarding a lathe but i have seen
sit down lathes

function first it seems with a lathe

and if spending so much time at a lathe then maybe cnc is the right
solution before making it ergonomic

No, not at all. Ergonomics is the reason lathes are put on stands.
They've figured out a good working height for most people, but if you're
shorter or taller you may need to adjust your lathe height.

Puckdropper

I've been thinking of getting a new lathe but most of the oriental cast
iron stands are too short for me and need booster blocks. I would need 2
sets for a Laguna and at least one for the Powermatic. I suppose if I
won some lottery money, I could get a Robust made to suit me.
My current lathe is a General 160 (no longer made). I bought the cast
iron top and I built a base to suit my height (6'4").

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 21:52:56 -0700, graham wrote:

I've been thinking of getting a new lathe but most of the oriental cast
iron stands are too short for me and need booster blocks. I would need 2
sets for a Laguna and at least one for the Powermatic.

Rather than buy a stand for my General maxi, I built a storage cabinet
which bolts to the wall and tailored it to my height. I used a 2x4 frame
and 2 thicknesses of 3/4" plywood for the top, plus lag bolts to the wall
studs. That pretty much eliminated any vibration.

Since you've already built a stand for your General, why not another one?

--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 12/11/2016 10:51 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 21:52:56 -0700, graham wrote:

I've been thinking of getting a new lathe but most of the oriental cast
iron stands are too short for me and need booster blocks. I would need 2
sets for a Laguna and at least one for the Powermatic.

Rather than buy a stand for my General maxi, I built a storage cabinet
which bolts to the wall and tailored it to my height. I used a 2x4 frame
and 2 thicknesses of 3/4" plywood for the top, plus lag bolts to the wall
studs. That pretty much eliminated any vibration.

Since you've already built a stand for your General, why not another one?

The stands on those big, cast iron oriental lathes are pretty much
integrated. Furthermore, even though the stand I built is very sturdy
and also has a box full of ballast, Vibration is still a problem at times.