John Miller

Default Electric Wall Oven Wiring

Actually the manufacturer is who said it was ok to connect a 4 wire
supply to a 3 wire house circuit.

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:22:05 GMT, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

Where did you get the idea that it is okay to connect a 3 wire feed to a 4
wire supply line? That is WRONG.

By doing so you would be connecting your grounding conductor which is
connected to the metal parts of your new oven to the current carrying
grounded conductor (Neutral). You would be allowing current to pass through
the metal parts of your oven. This is not a healthy situation in a kitchen
where there are water pipes and other grounded appliances. Touch the oven
and touch the sink at the same time and you could get a nice surprise. The
neutral is needed because the controls on the oven are 120 volts and
although they use a small amount of current it still presents a potential
hazard.

Wiring as you intended may void your warranty as well. Unless the factory
tells you it is okay to do, it is not.

You need to run a 4 wire circuit. Install a 4 wire receptacle and a 4 wire
plug on the oven cable.

The wire on the oven is not aluminum. It is a silver alloy. It has less
resistance and greater conductivity than copper. It is fairly common to
use silver alloy wire on appliances. Did you notice if it is a smaller
size than your copper feed? If it was aluminum it would be bigger. As far
as I know there is no problem connecting silver alloy to copper.

Be safe.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"John Miller" wrote in message
.. .
I've got a house that's around 55 years old, we're replacing the
original oven (yes it lasted 55 years). The old oven was hardwired in
a junction box with a 3 wire connection, the house wire appears to be
copper. The new oven (Frigiidaire) came with a 4 wire aluminum supply
line. I know it's permissible to connect to a 3 wire service however
the aluminum to copper connection bothers me. Frankly I don't
understand why they didn't just wire the oven with copper but I guess
that's why I don't design ovens.

Any suggestions? Am I right to be concerned?

Thanks,

John

John Miller

News==----