Posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Advice requested from those of you who have successfully checked camber at home

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 19:20:27 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/10/2016 6:57 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 00:08:52 -0000 (UTC), John Harmon
wrote:

Scott Dorsey actually said:

Yes, you need to change your brake fluid

Hi Scott,

In the case of the brake fluid, most of us use the ATE super racing blue
stuff (even though blue is not an official DOT color) and then the "amber"
ATE DOT4 where we alternate from non-DOT blue to DOT-amber.

However, this is normal maintenance for any car, since brake fluid is
hygroscopic,

I've never changed brake fluid in 50 years of car/truck ownership.
So it's not "normal" to me.

None of my cars have dual-diagonal lines so I purge the
brake fluid annually on each of them. A burst rusted brake
line can be a memorable experience- it sure was for me. OTOH
I wouldn't tell anyone else how to maintain their vehicles,
YMMV.

I've had 3 brake line failures. All rear wheel and all on cars that
had +20 years driving in salt. Had one a few months ago.
They've all been on my "emergency" cars.
I was very close to home every time, and I always have a working
e-brake.
In every instance the lines were heavily corroded salt corroded.
The only maintenance I could have done to prevent it was to replace
the lines, which I should have done.