Default Electrical problem in basement

John this is exactly the type of advice I am looking for. I will post
the results when I get it resolved. It may take a week or two but I
will follow up.

Thanks

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 13:51:03 GMT, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

If I was to come to your house to fix this problem I would do the following:

1) Look for a GFI receptacle that may have tripped. I would look in all of
the bathrooms, outside, the garage, and the basement. This usually applies
to homes built within the past 20 years or so. On a home as old as yours it
is not likely that this is the case, but I wouldn't rule it out. Any GFI
that I found I would press the reset button and check the GFI to see if it
had power by plugging something into it.

2) Open up the circuit breaker panel and check to make sure each breaker was
working. By working I mean that you are getting power from each circuit
breaker terminal including the main breaker. Then I would tighten down all
terminals on the circuit breakers, neutral bar, ground bar (If available)
and the mains. If that didn't correct the problem I would:

3) Open up the receptacle that the lamp was plugged into. Check for loose
or broken wires on receptacle. If it is an old receptacle I would replace
it and use pigtails on it instead of feeding through the receptacle to the
other receptacles. If that didn't correct the problem I would:

4) Open up each receptacle, switch, and light fixture that is out and check
for loose or broken wires. I would start at the receptacle, switch, or
light fixture nearest the circuit breaker panel. If that didn't correct the
problem I would:

5) Open up each receptacle, switch, and light fixture THAT IS WORKING in
close proximity to the problem outlets and check for a loose or broken wire.
If that didn't correct the problem I would:

6) (Note: This one is a longshot and highly unlikely, but I have seen it
happen) Replace the bulb in the lamp that blew and plug it back into the
same receptacle that it was originally plugged into. If that corrects the
problem, then you have some serious wiring problems and need a pro to come
in and check things out. If that didn't correct the problem I would:

7) Look around for evidence of damaged wiring. I have seen damage cause by
rodents, someone nailing something to a wall, someone cutting a hole in a
wall, someone drilling into a wall etc. If that didn't correct the problem
I would:

8) Consider refeeding the circuit by running a new line from the circuit
breaker panel.

Based on my experience 2, 3, 4, and 5 are your most likely suspects.

I would be interested in knowing the outcome of your investigation.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"L. Green" wrote in message
gy.com...
I am trying to diagnose a problem I am having in my basement. Here are

the
details

Recently I was repositioning my desk lamp when the bulb blew. As a result
all of the ceiling lights and most of the wall outlets in the other room

no
longer work. I have tried resetting all of the breakers although none of
them were tripped and I still cannot get those lights and outlets to work.
So my current situation is in the computer room where the bulb blew, only
one outlet works. The other does not. In the den area outside the

computer
room all ceiling lights do not work but one wall outlet does. I am trying
to figure if it is possible another electrical box is covered somewhere or
the electrical wiring really screwed up. This house about 50+ years old.
Any suggestions on where I should start my search?