Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Trenching for domestic services.

On 09/12/2016 12:02, Nightjar wrote:
On 09-Dec-16 11:33 AM, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
What do the electricity, gas and water companies require by way of
trench depth, separation of ducts, marking etc. for extending and
moving services to a fresh location?

I have found on-line suppliers of black duct, yellow pierced duct and
marking tapes but little further information.

The run is about 15m from existing supplies which are laid at around
18" deep and about 12" separation with no tape.

Ah! I hadn't dug very far.

Gas 450mm, water 750mm, electric 600mm

Any further thoughts?

When the gas company replaced the services in my road they dug trenches
in the road, but used a mole to run new pipes to each property. The
water company's contractor also used a mole to replace the service pipe
to my next door neighbour recently. I don't think the gas company likes
ducts, as they can pose an explosion risk.

In about 1985 near East Grinstead in West Sussex, a contractor drove
his mole through both medium/high pressure gas and a water main.
The water pressure 'won' and people were surprised to see a water
feature coming out their gas hob for miles around.

Gas was cut off for miles around, and BG had to visit *every* property
and turn off their appliances and then return and purge them. If you
were out they just dug up your garden and/or pavement and chopped your
supply.

They brought gas engineers in from all over the country and Eire and
commandeered the (largish) carpark in one sussex village as their
Ops centre sorting the mess out.