Posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
John Harmon John Harmon is offline

Default Advice requested from those of you who have successfully checked camber at home

actually said:

Total toe iis the difference between the track at the
front of the tire and the track at the rear of the tire.

Ah! My bad. Thank you for that correction.

Until you admonished me, I had previously thought total toe was just the
toe of both wheels to the centerline added up.

I stand corrected.

So "total toe" is the difference between the tracking of the front of the
tire and the rear of the tire (measured to centerline of the vehicle).

The specification on the Bimmer and most cars today is given as the
toe PER SIDE, which theoretically is 1/2 of the total toe..

Yes.

The toe
per wheel is measured to the parallel longitudinal axis of the vehicle
and is given per wheel to enable centering of the steering linkage so
the car goes straight when the wheel is centered.

Thank you for this pragmatic advice that the toe per wheel is given so that
we can keep the steering wheel centered while doing the job.

The reason the measurements are given as an angle is because that is
essentially what you are setting.

Thank you because, when I read the next sentence, for the first time, I
understood why toe is specified as an angle!

You are setting the angular
relationship between the wheel and the longitudinal axis of the car.

Ah. Yes. This is true that the *angle* is the angle of the wheel to the
centerline of the vehicle.

It's a tiny angle which is very close to zero; but it's an angle for sure!

Is this diagram I just made modified correct for that angle?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rtvi9L.gif

linear measurement is not an accurate specification because different
diameter wheels can be used on vehicles, and the displacement of the
neasurement from the rolling axis of the tire affects the linear
measurement, but not the angular measurement.

Ah. I see what you're talking about.
Thanks for that pragmatic advice!

Is this diagram that I just made showing what you just said?
http://i.cubeupload.com/BzNqBY.gif

If you are not using professional equipment and you are depending on
calculated linear measurements the ONLY way to aproach the accuracy
BMW is specifying is by extending the measurement to at least 3 feet,
prefferably 6 to 10, and calculatinf the offset at that point.

I don't understand that statement.
I was trying to draw what you said but I don't know which way to extend.

In which direction do I extend the line?
In front of the car?
Or to the side?