Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Trenching for domestic services.

On 2016-12-09, Phil L wrote:
Nightjar wrote:

When the gas company replaced the services in my road they dug
trenches in the road, but used a mole to run new pipes to each
property. The water company's contractor also used a mole to replace
the service pipe to my next door neighbour recently. I don't think
the gas company likes ducts, as they can pose an explosion risk.

They require perforated ducting and it must be yellow, they won't
put gas pipe in anything else.

To the OP:

Red for leccy, they will supply it, unlike the gas people.

Water and leccy can go in the same hole as can gas and leccy. Not
gas and water though, water must be kept away from the gas mains -
apparently someone who's probably never dug a hole in his entire
life has suggested that gas leaking can 'affect' the water pipe and
contamination and/or deteriation could occur.

Nonsense. It's because water in the gas mains is a nightmare to sort
out.

How is water going to get inside a pressurised gas pipe unless both are
leaking?

When paddy puts a digger through both at once?