Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default band saw belts

On 12/8/2016 11:44 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/8/2016 10:29 AM, Jack wrote:

I don't know what my belts are made of. Whatever it is, it definitely
last a long long time. They look like standard, everyday fan belts.

Typically rubber with inner belts. It is hard to say how long they have
actually lasted with out an hour meter. In a protected environment they
will last for many many years depending on how much use they actually
get used. If they were being used every day for the past 60 years you
certainly would have replaced them at least a few times.

Absolutely. In an industrial environment a TS might run continuously
8-24 hours a day. Just guessing, but my table saw probably has less
than a few days actual use. Even a large project like a set of kitchen
cabinets the TS run time measures in minutes, not hours,days etc. Rather
than wear out, I guess the issue would be how long the material would
last with or without usage. I've seen rubber tires on bearings
completely disintegrate just setting in a drawer.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com