Posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Advice requested from those of you who have successfully checked camber at home

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 21:13:31 -0000 (UTC), John Harmon
wrote:

Phil Kangas actually said:

I just don't know how to convert minutes to inches.

You can't. Minutes of angle are a function of a
triangle.
Inches are simply a scalar measurement of distance.

That's bad news because both the toe and camber are specified in degrees
but when I measure toe, it will be in inches.

At least when I measure the camber it will be in degrees so I won't be
switching units back and forth.

I know how to physically measure toe in inches (e.g., with a string); but I
don't (yet) know how to measure toe in degrees with a smart phone or
digital level.

If you are going to measure the toe with a string, you may as well
forget about it. You can NOT get enough accuracy or repeatability to
determine if the toe is correct or not. Without pro equipment, to get
that granular in your measurement you NEED to extend your measurements
5 or 10 feet and measure with a goor steel tape measure, or extend the
displaced centerline accurately and measure with a steel rule. Using
the simple tape measure will give you the total toe - which will be
double the specified toe per wheel, and will not tell you if you are
off-center.