Posted to alt.home.repair
FromTheRafters FromTheRafters is offline

Default alt.home.repair newsgroup statistics for 11/2016

James Wilkinson Sword wrote :
On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 11:34:58 -0000, Neill Massello
wrote:

Robert Green wrote:

I recently learned that in a room of grandfather clocks, they will
(mostly)
all eventually synchronize. Can you guess why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v5eBf2KwF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aaxw4zbULMs

Enjoy.

Cool! I guess this is similar to all the generators on the national grid
staying in phase. Although they're connected more strongly.

This doesn't happen naturally as far as I know. I had to use a
synchroscope to nearly match to the grid phase before attaching to the
grid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchr...nating_current)

Also, the behavior seen with the pendulum metrognomes would only work
with them aligned a certain way (with a feedback mechanism) and all
having the same period or simple ratios of periods.

I doubt that a room full of 'different' grandfather clocks with
different pendulum alignments and periods would exhibit this behavior.