Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default band saw belts

On 12/7/2016 5:21 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Wed, 07 Dec 2016 13:33:03 -0500, dadiOH wrote:

I had a severe vibration problem with the belts on my Delta DP.
Switched
to link belts and it runs vibration free now.

Amazing. I've never had a belted tool vibrate severely, if at all,
from a belt. Must have been one hellofa screwed up belt to begin with,
or the worlds lightest duty drill press, or some combination of both.
Maybe I've just been lucky over the last 60 years...

You've been lucky. I recently put link belts on my bandsaw, vibration
went way down

About 10 years ago I bought a 1948 Delta contractors saw that I think
still had the original belt :-). At least it had certainly taken a set.
Got rid of a lot of vibration by replacing the belt with a link one.

Any of the standard belts will take a set if left under tension without
moving for some length of time. The time is dependent on the belt
material.

My DP, TS, jointer, lathe, and Scroll saw are 60 years old. The only
belt I recall replacing was the jointer when I built a new cabinet for
it and changed the belt length. None of my tools vibrate severely, if
at all, and far as I can tell, no set in the belts. Don't know what
they made belts out of 60 years ago, but they don't seem to vibrate,
take a set or wear out. Or, I'm just "lucky"

--
Jack
I intend to live forever... So far, so good.