Posted to rec.woodworking

Default band saw belts

I've seen belts that segment inside and start to split into two belts.
ONly it is 3-4" long. I think starting under load or held in that
position a long time. Once each on two lathes (cold starts ?) and one
Drill press. In shops that get really hot the lube/tar tends to break
down.

I have link belts on metal, wood lathes and my 85 year old Delta. :-)
The on-off switch on the delta is starting to fail, I might look under
the cover and see what type of switch it is. Bounds to be hard to find,
but I have lots of old versions in sorted cans.

Never needed to put one on my bandsaw (Delta) Open ended pulleys.

Martin

On 12/7/2016 12:36 PM, Jack wrote:
On 12/6/2016 9:16 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/6/2016 3:54 PM, Jack wrote:
On 12/6/2016 1:21 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
anyone tried link belts on their band saw

keep hearing how much better link belts are for other applications
but have not seen mention of using link belts on a bandsaw

probaably cost more but they are supposed to perform better than a
solid belt

also the holes might help to prevent gunk build up under the belt

No, why would I want one? None of my belts are link belts, and all my
tools have been working great for 60 years. If your belts ain't
working, your machine sucks, set up sucks, or imagination is wild. How
could they improve on "working great"?

I had a severe vibration problem with the belts on my Delta DP. Switched
to link belts and it runs vibration free now.

Amazing. I've never had a belted tool vibrate severely, if at all, from
a belt. Must have been one hellofa screwed up belt to begin with, or
the worlds lightest duty drill press, or some combination of both. Maybe
I've just been lucky over the last 60 years...