Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Leon Schneider Leon Schneider is offline

Default What size nut goes onto a typical US passenger tire Schrader valve?

wrote on Wed, 07 Dec 2016 18:08:56 -0500:

I have long held to the position "never buy the cheapest or the most
expensive, because you will be overpaying for either one"

While that makes sense from a general sense, one of my beefs with people is
that they can't handle technical detail, so they grasp at straws to
something (anything) that they can handle.

Anyone can handle numbers.

So they buy a battery, for example, by "warranty" for heaven's sake!

It's so easy for them to "compare" a battery that has a warranty of, say,
12 months versus a warranty of, say, 24 months, that they grasp at straws
thinking that the warranty defines the difference between teh batteries.

Likewise, they buy tires by warranty, which is ridiculous to say the least.

When they have *nothing* else that they know to compare things, then they
compare by *price* (which is just as ridiculous).

Price is only one of very many factors. Often price is meaningless.

For example, the price paid for one airline seat can be double the price
paid for the one next to it. The price paid for a tomato at one store can
be double the price of another tomato. The price paid for a valve stem on
the ern could be ten cents versus the price I paid, which is something like
five or six bucks.

In all those cases, the price is NOT an indication of quality.
Quality is an indication of quality.

But most people are so stupid that all they can do is compare prices.

I'm not saying you are such a person but it's a long-time beef with me that
teh dumber the person, the more they think that price equates to quality.

It doesn't.
Quality equates to quality.

But that takes brains to assess.