Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Leon Schneider Leon Schneider is offline

Default What size nut goes onto a typical US passenger tire Schrader valve?

wrote on Wed, 07 Dec 2016 18:06:20 -0500:

Just make sure the repair is done properly. Anything bigger than a
nail hole I consider to be NOT REPAIRABLE on today's radial tires.
(and I spent many years in the auto repair and tire businesses)

I do have one question about that tire repair but this is probably not the
thread for it.

But since you brought it up...

1. Here is my patch kit on top of the holed tire.
http://i.cubeupload.com/TE6Td2.jpg
2. One question I have is what's the difference between a "radial" patch
and a patch that doesn't *say* it's radial?
http://i.cubeupload.com/0Q8NO3.jpg
3. Here is the hole from a screw, shown from the inside of the tire
http://i.cubeupload.com/8XKp9m.jpg
(yes, I know the rubber chafed from driving on it for a mile when low)
4. Here is the final picture of the patch
(yes, I know that the t-shaped patch would have been better)
http://i.cubeupload.com/JWrrfh.jpg

I have a bunch of technical questions, but before I ask them, I do know
that the tire is toast and that the t-shaped patch would have been better.

The only reason I didn't put in the t-shaped patch was that I didn't feel
like reaming out the hole, since the hole was so tiny I could barely get
that tent-pole stringing wire through it that you see in this pictu
http://i.cubeupload.com/8XKp9m.jpg

My *technical* questions are the following:

1. What the heck is the difference between the patches in the patch kit
labeled "radial" and the very similar looking patches not labeled radial?

2. Would a drill work as a reamer? Those hand tools are a bear to use.

3. Where can I get more tubes of that cement? It always seems that these
are single-use only (no matter how large they are) because when I need
them, they're always dried up.