Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default What size nut goes onto a typical US passenger tire Schrader valve?

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 21:35:20 -0000 (UTC), Leon Schneider
wrote:

wrote on Wed, 07 Dec 2016 14:57:20 -0500:

You got'er Cotter. Just tighten with a socket wrench.

Thanks.

I wonder which is better *quality*?

I suspect neither is better than the other.

I would "guess" (ASSume) that the one with nuts is *heavier* (which is a
bad thing) and more expensive (another bad thing).

I doubt it seals any better on a steel wheel (guessing again though).

Does it seal better on an alloy wheel?

The aluminum bolt ins are, if anything, only a few gramms heavier
than the rubber ones. They do seal better on boyh steel and alloy
because the rubber seal is compressed much more positively than the
rubber stem, forming a VERY tight seal.They are a bit more expensive -
I think I paid something like $1.50 each for the bolt-ins. Rubber
ones are about $1.30 on e-bay and $2.00 at the tire shop - so it's
pretty much a toss-up - and they last for years.

Curb damage is not an issue with either if you use short stems - and
with expensive alloy rims I stay well away from curbs anyway.