Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Leon Schneider Leon Schneider is offline

Default What size nut goes onto a typical US passenger tire Schrader valve?

wrote on Wed, 07 Dec 2016 08:06:15 -0500:

This one has a screwdrover-hook to remove and a screwdriver-funnel to
replace for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgDzZIop_uw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l4pJNg9k0I

pretty slick!! (the funnel type)

Last night I watched something like a score of tire-valve replacement
videos. One caveat is that a lot of videos use the same words for just
removing the inner schrader valve stem versus the complete removal and
replacement of the valve itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems they use basically these different
types of tools.

1. Traditional method:
2. Redneck method:
3. Fancy method:
4. Pro method:

*REMOVAL STYLES* AFAIK from my Youtube education last night:
1. The traditional method is apparently to cut the valve in half and
retrieve the pieces (sometimes tying a string to a screw and screwing that
screw into the inside of the ball on the inside of the rim if you haven't
removed the tire from the rim).

2. The redneck method is to simply band the valve stem from the ouside with
your finger until it breaks off and then just push the inside piece away
from the rim.

3. The fancy method is to use the hook part of the hook-and-funnel
combination, where you bend the valve to the side and shove a hook and
twist the hook until it catches on the inside hole and you pull the valve
out without needing to remove the bead.

4. The professionals seem to use a grooved levered long-handled tool that
screws onto the valve stem on the outside where the grooves seat on the rim
edge and they pop the valve out the front using sheer leverage force.

*INSTALLATION STYLES* AFAIK from my Youtube education last night:
1. The traditional method is apparently to place the valve loosely and then
screw on a small cheap 4-way crossbar tool on the outside and just pull it
through until it seats.

2. The redneck method is to use a nail as a substitute for your four-way
crossbar tool where you first remove the inside Schrader core and then you
shove a nail with the pointy side facing out through the valve tube, and
then you use vise grips to grab the nail and pull the valve out until it
seats.

3. The fancy method is to use the funnel part of the hook-and-funnel
combination, where you shove the valve forward into the rim until it seats.

4. The professionals seem to use that same grooved levered long-handled
tool that screws onto the valve stem on the outside where the grooves seat
on the rim edge and they push the valve in through the front using sheer
leverage force.

Is that a decent summary of the styles available to us for removing and
replacing a conventional rubber tubeless tire valve?