Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default What size nut goes onto a typical US passenger tire Schrader valve?

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 18:07:37 -0000 (UTC), Leon Schneider
wrote:

What size nut goes onto a typical US passenger tire Schrader valve?

To insert the tire valve, I know there is a ridiculously cheap cross-type
valve tool where you thread it on the outside of the tire valve to pull the
tire valve through the hole in the wheel rim, but for emergency use I just
want to stock a few nuts that I can thread on the outside of a new valve to
use as a ledge to pull the tire valve through the hole as shown he
https://d3vl3jxeh4ou3u.cloudfront.ne...e%20pliers.jpg

Looking for what nuts to purchase, the Wikipedia for Schrader valves says
the typical passenger brass & rubber tubeless tire pop-in Schrader valve
has OD threads of:

*TR 418, 0.453 in (11.5 mm) rim hole diam. 2 in (51 mm) long*
[*] Metric: 7.7 mm OD, thread root diameter is 6.9 mm ? 0.794 mm pitch
[*] Imperial: 0.305 in OD, thread root diameter 0.271 in ? 32 tpi (threads
per inch; thread density)

Assuming "Imperial" means "USA", that would mean I need a 32 TPI nut
somewhere between 0.271 inches and 0.305 inches in iD, but that doesn't
seem to be a standard size for a USA nut.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/in...nts-d_471.html

Even if I look deeper into the granularity, it still seems an odd size:
http://www.liming.org/InMoov/pics/decimalchart.jpg

So I simply ask you if you have experence with this problem.

What size nut goes onto a typical US passenger tire Schrader valve?

just use a metal valvecap and a washer.. The actual thread is a
..305X32 - which is NOT a standard fastener thread.