Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default A new kind of Drill Press

On 12/5/2016 11:30 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Jack, I've got that electric lift, and a front locking wheel.
See this: http://imgur.com/a/KJXDI

But me thinks you contradicted yourself a few times. you rarely change
speeds but "I'd like the speed thing to, but that
doesn't excite me as much as the depth control)"

I would probably agree about the benchtop vs floor standing. But if you
ever need it...

I also have a digital depth DRO.. on the cheap. I'll have to dig up pics.

Looks cool woodchucker. Love the ingenuity. My DP just has a sleeve
that slides up and down the post. It's a real bear, and gets harder has
I age. I should have replace the DP years ago, the ain't that much
money, other than this newfangled NOVA. Wonder if they have a bench top
model?

I never owned a bench top DP myself, but I can't say I ever needed the
floor model for anything a bench top couldn't do. I vaguely remember
flipping my table to vertical and drilling a hole in the end of a long
4x4, but that was a long, long time ago, and I did it because I could.
Never repeated it. I'm sure there are people that need this feature,
but nowhere near as many as purchase a giant floor model. I guess about
99.999% of holes I drill is in stuff that easily fit on a bench model.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com