Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe DeLoughan Moe DeLoughan is offline

Default LED Christmas Lights - Are The Wiring Harnesses Any Better?

On 12/5/2016 8:03 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've been looking at buying some LED Christmas lights but I'm curious about
the wiring harnesses.

I know the bulbs are brighter, last longer, etc. However, I'm curious as to
whether the wiring harnesses are any different/better than traditional
mini-light strings. Do LED's strings go bad in sections just like
traditional strings or are they wired such that each individual socket is
a stand alone entity?
Replacing all my strings with LED's would be a huge up-front expense, but
if I knew that I could pull them out every year and they would work, it
would be worth it.

You may want to look into commercial-grade Christmas light strings. A
lot more expensive, but they have much beefier wiring, since they're
intended to last over many seasons. Around here you can find
name-brand (GE, Nova, etc) commercial light sets in the upper-end
landscape and lawn and garden stores. And yes, they're available in
LED. On the other hand, if you have a problem with critters chewing
the wiring, there's no point buying more expensive light sets, since
they'll just chew through those, too.