Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default LED Christmas Lights - Are The Wiring Harnesses Any Better?

I've been looking at buying some LED Christmas lights but I'm curious about
the wiring harnesses.

I know the bulbs are brighter, last longer, etc. However, I'm curious as to
whether the wiring harnesses are any different/better than traditional
mini-light strings. Do LED's strings go bad in sections just like
traditional strings or are they wired such that each individual socket is
a stand alone entity?

I have a large number of mini-light Christmas strings. Straight, icicles and
swags. Every January I put away full working sets and every December I plug
the strings in to find bad sections scattered throughout. I try all the
standard bulb tricks and sometimes I can get the sections working, but
sometimes I can't.

I'm not talking about entire strings being bad, I mean that one or more 4'
section in a 21' string will be out. Then I have to buy new strings or
combine strings by cutting out bad sections and soldering in good ones. It's
a constant PITA.

Replacing all my strings with LED's would be a huge up-front expense, but
if I knew that I could pull them out every year and they would work, it
would be worth it.