Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default shower valve replacement - plumbing job I've never done

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 12:13:40 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
In ,
TimR typed:
On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 11:35:36 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
If you don't mind, could you post back how high up off the bathroom
floor level your 2-handle shower faucet is?

You hit on my worst fear.

The vanity is 32 inches off the floor but it has a 4 inch ledge that
the mirror sits on, so effectively 36 inches.

The shower faucet centerline is at 45 inches.

So I have tight but doable space to work in.

Interesting. That sounds like it will probably work with you just opening
the wall behind the mirror that is above the vanity sink.

But, if you need a little more room, you may be able to get that fairly
easily by leaving the vanity base cabinet in place and just removing the
sink off the top of the base cabinet. Of course, that will only work if the
4-inch ledge is part of the sink fixture. If the 4-inch ledge is part of
the cabinet structure, obviously that won't work.

It sounds like you have this mostly figured out and everything will probably
go smoothly.

I repaired that vanity sink some years ago.

I replaced the faucet assembly. But, it didn't come loose from the sink like the DIY articles say. It was anchored in securely with some kind of plumbing putty that had turned harder and stronger than JBWeld. I ended up disconnecting the sink, taking it outside, and beating on it with a rubber hammer for half an hour, eventually it loosened up and I put on the new faucet. Then I reassembled it in the vanity, and it didn't want to hang on those little clips, it took me half a day just to get the sink back into the hole before I could reconnect the water and the drain. So you can see I am not anxious to touch this vanity if there's any way to avoid it.