Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris f. Chris f. is offline

Default gas fireplace won't start-up - pilot is lit

replying to funkdys, Chris f. wrote:
EASY FIX! - Maybe, moved into our 10 yr old house 2 yrs ago. Our Heatolator
always had issues lighting, flipping the switch many times before lighting.
Had a guy come out last yr who charged $100 to clean everything, worked a
little better for a week or so then back to same old problem..recently I
started poking around under bottom where components are located with a
flashlight I spotted wire leading off to what turned out to be a battery PAC
with 2 D cells in it.. they were very corroded. I remove the two batteries
clean the connections put two fresh batteries in and Wala the fireplace starts
up every time on the first throw out the switch. This would be for gas
fireplaces with an automatic pilot light meaning that you do not have to get
down and light the pilot light yourself it is controlled by the wall switch.
I assume these batteries have something to do with the electronic ignition,
either way it's fixed my problem. Nobody anywhere ever mentions this when
talking about fixing these fireplaces

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...it-349828-.htm